Skip to main content

I Appreciated His Warning-Tornados





As an author, I have learned that many experiences can be understood with enough research. Social media pushes the emotion of whatever is viewed. Anger. Rage. Joy. Loss. Tragedy. Triumph. Victory. Discovery, etc.


Photo by Mary Vee, Oklahoma

I mostly agree with this still, because as the days go by, I write about a situation then reach into my personal memories, pull up my true responses, and insert that response into the character. I can empathize with those who experience a myriad of situations because I can call up my personal similar emotion.


You do too. Knowingly or unknowingly. You've cried, laughed, cheered at movies or while reading a book. Admit it. :)

But there are some experiences that extend beyond our realm of experiences encountered so far.


Photo by Mary Vee, Oklahoma

For example, yesterday, my daughter and I drove through Oklahoma heading east. I am not from Oklahoma, but I've heard plenty about their colossal storms. 


Tornado season has begun. 

We did not expect the 70-80 mph winds, the sheets of rain pounding the pavement, the hail, or the trees bending over. And although the driving was tolerable because we've driven in similar inclement weather, we took a break after two hours of fighting the winds. 




Photo by Mary Vee, Oklahoma

We pulled into a truck stop, ran inside, and crowded in front of a TV weather report with other travelers dripping rain onto the floor.

I have lived through many powerful storms.

And all was well

...until the newsman said, "There are currently no threats of tornados."

I have also lived through tornados touching down 1 mile from my home...more than once.


So all was well 



Photo by Mary Vee, Oklahoma


..until I remembered the videos of Joplin, Missouri from six years ago when an F5 tornado turned the town into toothpicks and killed 158 people. Joplin was near and on our route.

We were safe according to the reports and yet a fear rose inside me that I've only experienced a few times in my life. 

We ordered some food to wait out the storm. A man came to our table, with a compassionate look on his face. He looked at the 6-month-old we had with us then said, "Just wanted to tell you there is a four-hour window before the next storm comes. I've traveled with a baby before and understand how difficult it can be."







Photo by Mary Vee, Oklahoma


I appreciated his warning after witnessing the accident in this photo and the next. More than he possibly knew. We packed up our food and got back in the car. 

We rode on the tail of the colossal storm that forced us to take a break, outrunning the sister storm on the way.

I've never suffered damage from a tornado other than down trees and days without power. That is nothing compared to what the people of Joplin and other cities have experienced.

Photo by Mary Vee, Missouri





Sometimes we really don't understand what a person is going through. Sometimes we need to be available for hugs, listening ears, and a cup of water.










This post has been brought to you by the one word: Empathy


My book, Daring To Live, A Patriotic Suspense Novel is available on Amazon. 

Comments

quietspirit said…
Our son lived in Kansas for just over four years. We were able to visit him three times while he was there. On our first visit there, we were on I-70 headed back to Topeka. It had been a gentle rain but it suddenly became a downpour. My husband had to pull off the road under an underpass until it let up. We could not see anything beyond the windshield. That was the worst storm I had ever been in.

We have relatives who live in Oklahoma. I get anxious every time I hear of tornadoes going through there. One time when our nephew was in the hospital, his wife called me and asked,"Can you guess where we spent part of yesterday?" I did make a guess. She told me they were at the hospital and had to go to the basement. I believe seeking shelter in times like that is a part of their life.
Every local has it's issues, I suppose. We all learn to live with the issue our home state has, because it's home. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream