Skip to main content

Rural Life 101. So Much to Learn When Foiling Murphy's Law


Timing is everything.



I've been a city dweller and have learned to live by the clock. 

If I didn't, I'd miss the bus, train, subway, carpool, or get stuck in horrendous traffic especially during construction season. Oh yeah, this girl can survive in the city.

Now that I am a rural dweller I see this life also runs on a clock. Like planting season. Why, rural folk even put calling the septic company to drain the tank on the calendar! And that's not all! 

I've learned when the earliest time to safely walk on lake's ice, the best fishing spots, how to shop bulk because the nearest grocery store is far away, when to pick then can various fruits and vegetables, how to work a generator because the power goes out a lot of times, how to work a tractor mower and heavy duty snowblower, and much more. I can even make a dutch oven full of the best hearty stew you've ever tasted. This girl has her rural on. 

In both city and country the workings can get mucked up without a notice. This is the time I'd prefer living in an apartment because I can call maintenance. 

Unfortunately, the maintenance guy is us in our rural home.

These last two weeks I've learned how to identify and resolve a septic field that has collapsed.

I didn't remember signing up for this class.

Had I been asked ahead of time, I would have said the idea stank. 


But here I am. 



Two trips to the county office. County inspectors visits. The bad news in writing. Contacting a plumber. Hearing the news. Calling the county back. Getting a revised permit. Calling the septic service, then listen for the mighty trucks rolling.

I must admit, I thought the ten huge construction vehicles rumbling up the street were exciting until they crawled across our one-year-old asphalt driveway. 

Still, I felt like a little kid watching all the trucks and workers.









I was excited to see how easily the yard could be transformed into twenty ten-foot mounds. How easily the earth collapsed under a worker. He only fell six feet.













I filmed each step. Interviewed the workers. I could write a book about the subject.

But I won't.

Because I really don't like non fiction.









The tale is nearly over. Only half of the ten foot mounds are left in the backyard. The workers have gone home. They'll finish the job tomorrow morning.


And we have written on our calendar to check the system every three years like other rural folk do. BTW we didn't cause the problem. The poor system had become old. It lasted 30 years which is unusual.




The good news is we won't have problems when our 6 month grandson comes to visit next month. And trust me. Those little critters can test a septic system.


All in all. Murphy's Law didn't win (if anything can go wrong, it will). And Pollyanna can say we played the glad game. (Disney movie)



This post has been brought to you by the one word: FoilMurphy'sLaw


Comments

quietspirit said…
Maybe it's a good thing I live in town. Hubby grew up in a farming community but that ended when he and his dad moved up here.God knows where He wants us.
That's for sure. Both city and country can be wonderful places to live.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream