Skip to main content

Call For Response



This is my opinion, based on hearing the program Wait. Wait. Don't Tell Me aired on NPR in July 2018

I am often out driving on Saturday mornings when Wait. Wait Don't Tell Me airs. I flip through the channels searching for music or an interesting program and have caught this program several times. Often portions are funny. Often portions are informative. Sometimes the program is disrespectful and inappropriate, and I understand many listeners appreciate the comedic factor that is intended in the disrespect. I usually turn it off, or down, waiting for the next segment.

BUT, the last show and the show that aired after the Thai boys were rescued from the cave in early July had comedic dialogue that went too far, in my opinion. Here is why I think so.

The teen boys and their twenty-something coach faced a horrific period of time in the underground cave. Alone in absolute darkness. Unsure they would survive. Days without food they managed to find limited water, which they scavenged from the cave. The world watched as experts worked the problem, hoping and praying for the rescue. We were amazed at the results, heralding the rescuers and volunteers. Proud of these young men for daring to dive through murky water, which was their only means to survive before the monsoons came. You know the story. It was epic.

A comedian, and also the host on Wait. Wait. Don't Tell me chose to joke about the situation. Paula Poundstone jokingly said she had made math problems for her children about the rescue like if there were twelve boys and one swam out of the cave how many were left. I thought, okay. That was application. But then she added this: we were sad the boys had been rescued. I mean, couldn't they stretch the whole situation out more? She amplified her comment to say the drama had been so exciting she didn't want it to end. The audience laughed. I did not. 

The host, Peter Sagal, chimed in: to the boy who was last in the cave, I know what it's like to be picked last. The audience laughed again. I did not. The boys had voted among themselves, choosing those who were sick, had the greatest need, and other issues to go first. The boy who offered to leave the cave last was every bit a hero. He let his whole team go before him. Only the coach and the doctor remained after this young man. This boy should be honored, not mocked.

I had hoped they wouldn't return to this subject again. Yet, my daughter heard Saturday's program, 7/28, in which she felt the Thai boys had been indirectly mocked in a joke about caves on Mars and the water that has been allegedly discovered.


In advocating for this group of boys who survived a terrifying event. I am calling for emails, a time of boycotting of the show, Wait. Wait. Don't Tell Me, to communicate there are certain topics that are not open to mocking, even in a comedic, lightly intended nature. 

Honor these boys, their rescuers, the diver who lost his life trying to save them, the community that provided food, the sleepless nights of volunteers and experts, etc. Think of your most terrifying moment. Would that be comedic material?



Did you know: In 1977, America rose up and boycotted Nestle for their investment in organizations that participated in South Africa's discrimination policies. The boycott became so powerful, Nestle and other companies stopped investing in South African companies resulting in a change for South African.




This post has been brought to you by the one word: SpeakUp

Comments

quietspirit said…
I did as you asked. The Golden Rule should apply to all.
Thank you. Perhaps more have also found a way to voice. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream