Skip to main content

How A Tiny Plant Brought Prosperity To A War-Torn Country

Saffron crocus. Its stigmas and styles Photo Credit

Saffron is a spice. Its vibrant red is also used to color foods.

During a time when I made ultra fancy dishes for my family, I remember needing saffron. The tiny jar costs a lot of money. I only bought it that once. When adding saffron to my dish, I noticed the food took on a beautiful golden color.






Can I tempt you with this delicious recipe for Chicken Scallopine with Saffron Cream Sauce from the Food Network? Looks yummy, right?

Today's topic, though, is not about saffron recipes. We're telling a story: The Soldier and The Farmer.





One of the two places quality saffron grows well is in Afghanistan.

In this war-torn country, farmers cultivate the ground and grown rows of saffron crocus plants, but they had a problem. There was little demand in their country for their crop.

Last Saturday, the Weekend Edition of NPR aired a story of three US soldiers, Kimberly Jung, Keith Alaniz, and Emily Miller, who had been stationed in Afghanistan. One was a translator, one was on the cultural support team for night raids, the third was in a platoon that checked for roadside bombs. One day the translator happened by a saffron crocus farmer's field. 

The farmer talked with the soldier about his saffron crop. He shared how his family had grown the spice for generations. During the conversation, the farmer said he could easily grow more saffron, but there was little demand in his country.

The American translator told his two friends who also served in Afghanistan at the time. The two had business backgrounds. Between the three, they contacted the proper authorities and started the process for this and other Afghanistan farmers to sell their high-quality saffron to American consumers. The farmers were then able to expand their fields to sell to a new market.

Who would have known? A foreign soldier happens by a farmer's field and shares one conversation resulting in prosperity for the farmer and product for the soldier's country. 

What I also liked about this particular report was the three American soldier's description of the country. They raved about the beautiful Afghanistan countryside. As they said this, I wondered, how could a country so plagued with war be beautiful and still have fields of lovely saffron flowers? I listened more.

Afghanistan Sunset Photo Credit



Based on what they said, I would love to visit Afghanistan and see this amazing countryside.

If you'd like to read more about this, here is the link to the NPR article: Afghan Saffron Coming to US






This post has been brought to you by the one word: BeautifulAfghanistan



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream