Skip to main content

Some Say It Takes A Village-This Time It Took A World


 Photo Credit
Have you had a chance to watch the rescue story of 12 Thai soccer players and their coach?

I realized, after writing a few posts on my Facebook page that not everyone has had a chance to follow this story. I wanted to dedicate this post to those boys and their coach. Also the volunteers and the many experts who sacrificed time, money, comfort, and for some, their vacation to come to the team's aid.

I waited to publish this post to hear the last piece of news. So some of you will be reading this post on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. This evening BBC news announced: the doctor who examined, treated, and stayed with the team during the rescue process and the last of the Thai divers have left the cave. The mission is complete, at least this portion. Talk about exciting.

My post today is not going to rehash all the details. Here is a link to the article that will give you all the details including links to more information. 


Instead, I'd like to talk with you about the global effort in the rescue.

1. The Thai people are to be commended for requesting help from other nations. This is difficult to do, even in a time of tragedy. While they had many of their own experts, the problem proved exponential, requiring the best from around the world. Thai men and women warmly welcomed the experts who dropped everything and hopped on the first available plane to Thailand, even to the point of cooking special food for those eating certain diets. 

2. Australian doctor, Richard Harris, was also experienced with cave diving and rescue missions. After the long flight, he made the underwater dive to be with the boys. He stayed in the cave and provided medical treatment, conversation, and other aid over the days required to rescue the entire team.

3. Three Thai Navy Seal divers and the doctor were the last to leave the cave.

4. Technical divers came from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Canada. 

These are only the ones featured in BBC articles. However, other countries have been credited for their assistance. Prayers, watchful eyes, concerned hearts from all around the world have joined in the effort. Donated funds have helped defray costs. 

5. Of course, we cannot forget the one Thai Navy Seal diver who lost his life transporting oxygen tanks in and out. Retired Petty Officer, Saman Gunan, 38, was a Navy Seal Diver. His tank ran out of oxygen while on his way out of the cave. What a sacrifice. May he rest in peace.

The videos available on the link above and related BBC pages are heartwarming. I also liked seeing the illustrations designed to help us understand the complexity of the dive. 

I wondered, how did those British divers find the boys? The soccer team was 2 miles back in the cave on a small ledge. The boys had climbed down a steep area, crawled through narrow passages while outrunning the rising flood waters. 

I wondered how did the Thai people know to look in that cave? 

I wondered how the boys survived nine days without food or water. The water in the cave was muddy and not drinkable.

I wondered what the boys did to occupy themselves and encourage one another to hope for a rescue sitting in pitch dark.


What I do know is not one person who went to help thought twice about the commitment and hardship.

It's moments like this one in Thailand, and the mine collapse in Chile, and other tragedies that prove we need each other and God. This time it took a world to rescue twelve boys and their coach to bring peace and a Never Give Up Story. 


This post has been brought to you by the one word: Rescue



Daring To Live, A Suspense Novel, is available on Amazon and makes for a great read this summer season. 

Comments

quietspirit said…
Mary: We watched the news story on TV last night (ABC network) The group had ridden bicycles to the area. They left the bikes chained to a rail and also left their shoes and other items next to their bikes. Their coach had them drink the water that fell from the top of the cave; the cameras showed the CLEAR water falling off the stalagmites and the rocks above their heads. Once the rescue teams found them. They sent in lights and covers for them.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/world/thai-cave-rescue-boys-lost-weight

httpsabc://go.com/shows/nightline/episode-guide/2018-07/10-071018-Divers-Successfully-Rescue-13-Boys-And-Soccer-Coach-From-Thailand-Cave
Oh, thank you. I hadn't seen that news story. Sure helps to answer a lot of questions.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream