Skip to main content

The Day The Troll Kissed The Yooper


 Suspension Tower, Mackinac Bridge
photo by Mary Vee



Labor Day is the one day each year the Mackinac Bridge is closed to all motor vehicle traffic from 6am to 12 noon. This annual event began back in 1958

The Mackinac Bridge is a suspension bridge connecting the lower peninsula of Michigan with the upper peninsula. To the east, Lake Huron flows, to the west, Lake Michigan


The people who live on the north and south sides have a fun rivalry.












Photo by Mary Starting the walk

If one lives in the lower peninsula that person is called a troll because he/she lives "under" the bridge.

If one lives in the upper peninsula, that person is called a Yooper, a distortion of the word upper.

On Labor Day the Yoopers and Trolls along with a host of visitors walk the 5 mile Mackinac Bridge. The ceremony always starts with the governor of Michigan leading the walk. One year President Bush walked with the then governor!

An announcer called out to people, asking where they were from. Walkers from Georgia and all around the country came to walk the bridge. 

Why?

Well, to say we did it.

To meet many new people.

Bridge Light
Photo By Mary Vee





To take photos that could never be taken otherwise 











Photo By Mary Vee, Lake Huron
eastern view from the bridge


And this year, to witness a young man propose to his girl. I cheered with the crowd around them when she said yes and hugged her man.

Another new component of the bridge walk this year seemed to be a genius cost-cutting idea.

Previously all participants walked the northbound side from north to south. Busses ran all morning ferrying people to St. Ignace. Car/truck traffic also continued to move across the bridge on the southbound side.










sheriff 4 man horse patrol
Photo by Mary Vee

This year, organizers closed the entire bridge for the safety of the walkers. Participates starting on the troll side walked to the halfway point on the southbound side of the bridge the turned and walked back on the northbound side. Likewise, participants starting on the yooper side walked to the halfway point, turned and walked back. Safety was paramount. Sherrif boats in the water, helicopters overhead, sniper police on top of the towers, armed police stationed every twenty feet, ambulances, patrol cars. One walker asked the armed police what was in his bag. The officer said, "Medical equipment." Looked more like a weapon to us.











police sniper on the ground with rifle pack
Photo by Mary Vee



police sniper on top of the tower
Photo by Mary Vee



















In the middle, the trolls and yoopers met. We waved and cheered each other on to finish the walk. If one truly wanted, they could sneak past the heavily armed police and steal a kiss. 

Sunrise on 127, Photo by Mary Vee



Photo by Mary Vee
Leaving at sunrise got us there in time to take over a parking spot abandoned by an early walker, and comfortably walk the bridge. 80,000 are estimated to have attended this year's event. Many, like us, came home with four slices of Mackinac Fudge and a certificate.








To me, the most enjoyable components were: 

Watching the monarch butterflies flutter over and around the walkers

Photo by Mary Vee









Standing on the grates and looking down at the water 554 feet below.












Neither could be done from a car.

Want to join me next year? 

Labor Day Monday. 6-12noon. Either start at Mackinaw City in the Lower Peninsula or St. Ignace in the Upper Peninsula. You'll have a blast. Not to mention an opportunity to buy Mackinaw Fudge. Yum.


This post has been brought to you by the one word: TrollsAndYoopers



  

Comments

quietspirit said…
Mary: We went to Mackinac on a July 4th weekend several years ago. I remember going across that bridge. How many times have you been there for the walk? How far is it across that bridge?
The bridge walk is 5 miles. We've walked the bridge three different times.

Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream