Skip to main content

Don't Let the Heat Keep You Inside When Visiting San Antonio







My excuse for traveling to San Antonio was an important writing conference. Fortunately, several writing friends and I had an opportunity to walk to nearby attractions. All photos are by Mary Vee. Please credit my name if you use them.


Visitors may enter the grounds and the fort free of charge. There is a donation box if you choose to contribute.

I first stopped by early in the morning on my walk and was surprised to see a gate open and a guard standing in front of it. 









I commented on the lovely trees to the guard. This live oak was one of my favorites. He pointed to his favorite trees inside the gardens. 

I thought the tree to the left might have been a Banyon. They are similar in that both are huge trees with massive curvy branches that are as thick as trunks. 










Later in the day I returned to the grounds where I photographed this door and arch. Notice the intricate scroll work etched into the stone.

Very impressive. Am I right?











COMMERCIAL BREAK

ANNOUNCING MY NEW RELEASE, AVAILABLE NOW ON AMAZON!




Fifteen days before Christmas, the staff at Sylvia's Duvet's mansion discover she is missing. Her daughter arrives at Dr. Carhill's office in a panic, concerned the gossipers and media will createtheir own story, embarrassing the family name. After all, a wealthy widow only disappears if ...she simply can't bear to think of the possibilities.

CLICK HERE FOR BOOK LINK: Sylvia's Secret


...Back to San Antonio




The temperatures remained in the sizzling hot with a boatload of humidity. This did not keep us inside, though. Twining through the city is this riverwalk. Visitors can ride a boat. A tour guide explains the history of the area.

During the conference we visited more than one restaurant, ice cream shop, and store.




I loved this unusual palm tree. I looks like it has legs, a brown body, and green hair. It stood taller than the Alamo.




During the life of this building it was used as a church. This is one of the erntrances to the beautiful gardens




This wall protects what is now beautiful gardens.

Somehow I don't believe the cannon was blue way back in the day. :)



This entrance resembles doors seen in Europe. It is heavy, and takes a bit of oomph to pull it open.

Photos may not be taken inside.

So, I will describe it to you. There is little lighting. We step into a large rectangular open room, most likely used for the main room of the church. There was an upper level in days of the fort.

There are three side rooms. The windows help us see just how very thick the walls are. I'd say at least three feet.


These two amazing sites made the trip completely worth the trip.

I highly recommend visiting San Antonio, the Alamo, and the River Walk.














I also want to highly recommend the Hyatt RiverWalk. I've stayed in many hotels. None scored a perfect ten in every category from me before.














My plan is to hop on the blog next week. I will be in the Alps and am not sure what Internet service I will have.

Have a great week. 

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream