Skip to main content

Code Word used In A Fiction Story






This summer a pair of wild geese raised a family on the grassy shore outside our home. This was the first time a family stayed from gosling to raised geese. Recently, they flew away and didn't return.













I read North by Night this week as part of my research for the story I'm currently writing. The main character is Lucy, a teen girl living in small town, Ohio, who helps her family hide slaves fleeing north in the 1800's. The story is powerful and I highly recommend it.


In the days of the Underground Railroad, individuals fleeing slavery were called Wild Geese. It was a code word. Pictures and drawings of wild geese pointed the way north, because, as we know, geese go south for the summer, have their babies, then fly north.







It took courage to modify businesses or homes to harbor, feed, and cloth these individuals on the run. Families risked their lives to help men, women, and children find freedom. They often kept their secret from relatives who did not agree with the cause. 







Finding medical assistance for the wounded, pregnant, or ill involved not only seeking a doctor who would keep the secret, but creatively constructing believable excuses as to why the physician had to visit when a watchful eye took notice. 









One reason for using the code words Wild Geese was because many of the slaves could not read. It became an easy-to-recognize symbol to point the way. Women would make quilts with the birds flying in a specific direction, and hang them out on a clothes line, like a map.

A second reason for using the code words is it provided an easy way to pass messages. "A flock of geese ... one had an injured wing..." In a day when people didn't have phones for quick communication, handwritten letters served as the only way to get help, update, and share.









The story I am currently writing includes an underground--a web of volunteers who help abducted children find their way back home. The title is The Oliver Project, The Rescued One. Full of adventure and suspense, it is a page turner. Stay tuned.


This post has been brought to you by all the Wild Geese who found Freedom.



Link to Mary's books: https://amzn.to/2Fq4Jbm


Did you know wild geese was the code word for those who escaped to the north?

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream