Skip to main content

Jetting to Paris to Visit The Master of World Building


The more we know about a person, the better we understand why they say what they say, and the meaning behind the body language that accompanied the words, in addition to the intent behind the tone.


Arch de Triomphe
Photo by Mary Vee


Whoa, that was almost philosophical. Pontification done. But this is the reason for my choice of book to talk about today.

I woke this morning and asked myself, which of the many books I've read should we talk about. The choice had to be one that would benefit you as well as me. The winner unarguably was Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.











Since Les Miserables takes place in Paris, I chose Paris pictures to show you. But not the 1840's you would have seen had you lived during the time the story took place ;)

Me in The Louvre
Hubby took this photo



While the musical is epic, the movie heart-rendering, (Love Liam Neeson's performance)--the book is overwhelmingly magical. Think: the difference between a local small carnival and Disneyland.

Here is why: Every character in this story is brought to life so much so the reader can hear their breath, detect their footsteps, feel their rage, observe their deception forming, the goo on the skin sticking after walking through the sewer, the melting heart when heroes die... the list could easily fill even this page! 











Champs de Mars
Park at the foot of the Eiffel
Man masterfully playing the pan flute
Photo by Mary Vee

An avid reader said to me, Hugo's world building through the character development easily outranked Tolkien's. Shocker? Possibly, because the reader highly favors Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

There is a fine line between endless details describing anything in a story and poetically painting a scene: the blue uniform jacket had a loose thread near the shoulder, and the third button down hung in utter disrepair, but none of these mattered since the coat barely came to the waist. Pity the washerwoman who failed to remove the raspberry tart stain, it covered nearly three inches across his abdomen, and mores the pity to his servant who failed to advise the necessity of the proper belt. 

In some cases, this description would be entertaining. 









You know what this is
Photo by Mary Vee




But in an action scene, the same paragraph would read like quicksand, sucking the reader away from the vibrant story.

I give Les Miserables a 5 out of 5 for character, theme, plot, writing, humor, information, world building, .... try it. Yah just gotta read this book.












This post has been brought to you by a living character.




Link to Mary's books: https://amzn.to/2Fq4Jbm


Have you read Les Miserables?



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream