Skip to main content

Jetting off To Rome One Setting in The Count of Monte Cristo









Today we will jet to Rome, to one of the settings in the book, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Yes, much of the story takes place in France, but since we are virtually visiting Rome today, we'll discuss what happens to The Count while he was there.

An opening to an inner court, Rome - Photo by Mary Vee










After Edmond Dantés escapes prison and becomes the Count of Monte Cristo, we find him in Rome at the carnival. Rome was the perfect place to set this scene. The city is crowded, busy, and full of life. The Count rode in a luxurious carriage while we traveled in a tour bus, no sane person would attempt driving Rome's city roads without experience. What amazed us most was the driver's ability to turn the monster vehicle ninety degrees without touching a curb.

The Colosseum - Photo by Mary Vee








The Carnival mentioned in this story was a flamboyant event, placing everyone, no matter their financial status, at the same status. Guest donned ornate costumes and wore masks. Jugglers, jesters, and beheadings served as only a few of the entertainments. 

*Guards for St. Peter's Basilica dressed in Swiss Army Uniforms designed by Michelangelo  - Photo by Mary Vee








Rome is the setting that transitions Edmond Dantés the prisoner, the deceived one, the naive one, the duped one, the uneducated one owning absolutely nothing into the Count of Monte Cristo, a well-educated man (thanks to the teachings of a priest in prison), a high society dressed man, and a man of means who lives in a palatial setting.

The Spanish Stairs - Photo by Mary Vee


The  Vatican City - Photo by Mary Vee



R
ome is the pivotal setting. The Count of Monte Cristo establishes his new name, his wealth, high station, and credibility here before returning to Paris. With these tools, author Alexandre Dumas grants Cristo the ability to seek revenge and all he'd lost.

*art in the Vatican museum - Photo by Mary Vee





But this is not how the story end
s.

An interesting discover happens, completely changing The Count of Monte Cristo. You'll have to read the story or watch the movie to find out what happened.

*spiral staircase, look closely at the bottom level. Who do you see? - Photo by Mary Vee




This was a great visit to Rome. Naturally we saw much more, but the Count didn't visit those places. Maybe we'll share the other things we saw in a future book review. 

As for me I give this book a 5 out of 5 ***** 

This post has been brought to you by Cristo in Rome.


Link to Mary's books: https://amzn.to/2Fq4Jbm

You can read more book reviews and jet with Mary Vee Writer to places all over the world from your email inbox:
Become a follower in the column to the right..............



Which classic story did you enjoy the most ?




Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream