Skip to main content

In the Mountains. Finding Benefits To Reading Other Genres-Today's Book: The Passage. .

Like most readers, I tend to read in the same genre or close cousins of the same genre and rarely venture into different categories.

I like to read mystery, it's cousins suspense, and romantic suspense. But when an agent said, "You need to read this book. Yes, it is in a different genre, but the author writes in the same style/voice as yours," I ordered a copy and opened the pages of The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Rocky Mountain Photo by Mary Vee

This book is set in the United States, although the global community is included. 

When a terrible virus attacks the population, children are put on a train and sent to a secluded camp built for them in the Rocky Mountains. Since we are following the children, we assume all the adults are infected with the virus. Intrigued? So was I.

A Well Written Book will draw on what reader's know: I liked Cronin's historical reference to England's sending their children to the country by train during the war to protect them from the bombings. A country's greatest asset is its children.

A Well Written Book will have takeaway for all readers: For me, reading The Passage at a time when we are facing Covid issues made the book fascinating. The inconveniences. The choices for survival. The frustrations. The unexpected blessings/joys. Character in The Passage face all of them.

Greater than seeing other's facing what we are going through is the jiggling of our thoughts away from ourselves, forcing us to notice/remember other horrible plagues in earth's history that attacked the global community, and while devastating, people survived. 


A Well Written Book will have memorable lines:
These are unique words clustered in such a unique way they remain in our minds long after we close the book. They cause us to stop, perhaps highlight, tell a person nearby. There were many in this book. Here is one:

"It took forever and was over in an instant."

A Well Written Book will have description so clear you could touch it: Here is one little example from The Passage:

"Beneath his feet, the carousel's wooden decking shuddered as its gears engaged; with a burp of music from speakers overhead, the carousel began to move."

So, what link did I find between Cronin's writing and mine? I love to read the classics and tend to write with this style except: I use modern forms of old words without weeding out rich words of yesteryear.

 For me, description is crucial, as is a good dialogue. Read the masters:

Dickens- a master a dialogue. 

Hugo- a master at description. 

Austin- a master at deep emotions

Shelly- a master at beyond...our thinking, our corner of the world, our preconceived ideas

and many, many more.

...And all of these rich forms of writing are found in The Passage. A book, that had it been written back when, would have been placed on the shelves next to famous classic authors.

Had I known the genre, I wouldn't have picked up this book

....and I would have missed so much.

warning: there is some swearing in this book.


On Sale for the holidays: 


Link to Mary's books: https://amzn.to/2Fq4Jbm


Become a follower in the column to the right..............

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream