Skip to main content

We're in Space with A Rare Sequel That Rose Above It's First Book

Moon Photo by Mary Vee
Moon, Photo by Mary Vee
 

Usually a sequel is not as good as the first book. There is something about the process of meeting new characters, new situations, new problems, new. 

I mean, sequels aren't necessarily bad, they just don't meet up to the star status of the first book.




Except.


Ender's Game
, by Orson Scott Card is one of those books that appeals to young and old. I'm not typically a sci fy reader, but when a good book comes my way, I'll give it a whirl. I read the entire book, cover to cover and enjoyed the futuristic way of solving a global problem.

But.

I was asked to read the sequel, Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card and found this book superior.

How?




Netherlands, Photo by Mary Vee
Netherlands, earthly setting
for this story. Photo by Mary Vee




Character development. From the main character, Bean, to minor characters such as the homeless boys and girls on the streets to major characters like Sister Carlotta life is breathed into the characters with such a depth readers can't help but want to follow this journey into space. 

The key to this development is not filling pages and pages of descriptions. Rather, Card fills the pages with storytelling scenes, fast paced--







Photo by Mary Vee


--Think of an old oak tree. The wide trunk stands tall with a few thick, heavy branches reaching out, and from those medium branches, and from those thinner branches, and from those tiny branches, each filled with leaves fanning out, filling space, creating a huge shadow on the ground.

Each part of the oak taking only the necessary space, and yet as a whole, the tree is enormous, full, complete.

Ender's Game, the first book has a great plot. 

Ender's Shadow has phenomenal character development. 

I clearly saw the greater importance of character development over great plot for a lasting, satisfying story that asked to be read again.

Definitely five out of five stars.


I think the themes help unfold the changes in the characters. Ender's Shadow is like an Oliver Twist. From poverty to general in the army, Bean discovers his need for others over self survival. Also, as pointed out by the mother in the end, in case we missed it, the Parable of the Prodigal Son. There are many other themes, but I found these two dominant.

As a warning, there is some swearing in the book, used to paint realistic characters.


On Sale for the holidays: 


Link to Mary's books: https://amzn.to/2Fq4Jbm


Become a follower in the column to the right..............

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream