Skip to main content

Book Review: A Year Down Yonder


Sometimes it’s good to sit down and read a Newberry Award winning book that hasn’t been read yet. 


In a few word, this is how I would describe A Year Down Yonder:

 

Entertaining     Great World Building     Whimsical     Wonderful Characters    Witty     Realistic     Happily Ever After


I took the above photo in my asparagus patch. It seemed fitting for a book review of this farming community story. In this book review, we'll find out why A Year Down Yonder qualified for a Newbery Award

What is the Newbery?

The short answer: The best children's/young adult book of the year based on story in text.

There is an award for the best children's/young adult book of the year based on illustrations. These books win the Caldecott Award.

Only a special story, a story that breaks open a heart, mind, a lifetime of raising and stirs new thoughts can win a Newberry medal. Ahh, perhaps you, potential reader can see what caliber A Year Down Yonder is. I don’t say was, as in only for the year it won, but “is” for every year following. 

We first meet Mary Alice, a fifteen-year-old living with her family in Chicago. Her father loses his job during an economically challenging time in America. Her parents must move. Mary Alice is sent to live with her grandmother in a farming community so different from the city.


Although Mary Alice is clearly the main character, we are immediately drawn to Grandma Dowdel. Mary Alice vividly takes us on her journey as she learns how to survive, wheel and deal, bake pies, endure, fight for what is right, make food from war time pennies, walk long distances, stay warm in the bitter cold, and trap, all from the feet of grandma. 

The story is full of spark, whimsy, truth, rascals, the inconsiderate and the needy struggling to survive during some very lean years in a small farming town. 

I highly recommend this engaging book not only for individual readers, but also for classrooms. And, while the story is supposedly for young folk, readers of any age will get a laugh and a tug at their heart while turning the pages.

 

#newbery   #greatreads   #readers   #teachers   #youngadultbooks
















Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream