Skip to main content

The Writer's Idea Resource



I’ve spent years learning about the writing craft from classes, conferences, and resources books, benefitting from honing my skills.

Like you, God has blessed me with experienced writers who’ve helped me throughout my writing journey, each contributing a golden nugget that opened the door to the next step. 

But there is one who was there when I started. He was there when you started too. His book has numerous new editions, has been translated into almost every language, and is a global bestseller. I believe you have a copy too. 

Because of his writing expertise, his compassion, and willingness to help, his book has become an invaluable tool. A writer’s perfect resource with helps to meet our calling. And the author, well, he is available to everyone and anyone who asks.

The one I am referring to is God, and his book is the Bible.


Yeah, really! Let me show you how the Bible is your perfect writing resource. For this discussion, we are going to focus on the basic model of storytelling since the Bible is the perfect resource for every aspect of our lives.

Consider the opening sentence. Genesis 1:1 states: In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth. These words tell readers the setting, who the story is about, and leaves them a great hook: “What happened next?” and “Who is this God who created everything we know?” Aren’t you bursting to know more about the one who created everything and is completely interested in you? Me too!

So, in the opening pages, the Master Author develops setting and continues to show the people involved by taking us to the garden. He shows us what it looks like-- including the tree with the forbidden fruit in the middle--and he explains the basic rules for this new world formed by his spoken word. 

Soon sin, the epic problem, begins a story in need of redemption only a great God could provide.

This opening follows the rules we’ve been taught in writing classes and texts. 

  • Lead with a hook. 
  • Familiarize the reader with the setting.
  • Introduce the characters.
  • Open the reader’s eyes to the character’s epic problem.
  • Begin the journey seeking the solution.


The journey is long with many bumps in the road, components found in books.

 Layers. Depth. Passion. Villains. Hero.

The Bible moves forward using events to expand and deepen the journey: Noah and the terrible flood, David facing Goliaths, God’s Son sent as the only means of salvation, the call for disciples to go into all the world and tell the Good News. The news spreads to the ends of the known earth. Trials and troubles bleed into the ages. Heartache and miracles. Deception vs. Truth.

The climax is yet in our future. The book of Revelation tells us what will happen, but if you’re like me, we don’t fully understand the meanings presented. What we do know is: for those who follow The Way, the happily ever after will be eternity with God in heaven.

You see? Before writing instructors or books taught the principles of writing, God used them in his book, written just for us. 

He is available to stir your mind to generate great ideas. He will listen to your thoughts and provide clues to your story’s direction. He will laugh with you, cry with you, and love you every day. He is faithful to turn any story into a Never Give Up Story. One that will truly end in a happily ever after…with no end. Because we have an eternal God.

Never Give Up your calling as a writer. God, the great mentor is here for you whenever you need. He loves you.

You may wonder why I use these words: Never Give Up. This is my brand. All my stories fall into this realm, from fantasy to mystery and suspense to travel and holiday celebrations. God has rescued me from numerous pickle problems, some simple like a flat tire, some huge, like cancer’s ugly visit four times. In each case, God asked me to trust him by Never Giving Up. This was the only way I survived.

No matter the depth of the valley or the height of the mountain peak, he’ll ask the same of you. 

What one writing principle have you discovered in the Bible? How has God blessed you on your writing journey? Sometimes writers hear from readers that our story/words/characters have touched their heart. Would you be willing to share one today?

My debut book, Anders’ Redemption tells of one man’s heartache the night an accident robs him of a promising career. Forced to survive on cheap noodles for a year, Brice Anders finally receives the letter. The one that promises a second hope for his dream-until an intruder breaks into his new home and steals his work. With days left ‘til Christmas, his job on the line, his memory not helping, only hope can deliver redemption. 



Anders’ Redemption is on sale for the holidays. 
Both paperback and ebooks are available from:



Click here for more Writer's College Mini Lessons

on Today's Writers and Readers World. 😎



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Fabulous Friday Feature-Laura Frantz

Today I welcome  Laura Frantz, a gracious lady showing the love of Christ with her smile. Enter to win Laura's  September 2013 release, Love's Awakening Scroll to the end of the post to see how to enter. I was introduced to Laura at an ACFW conference by my a fellow Writer's Alley Cat writer. Immediately I saw Laura's gracious spirit. It's been about two years since and I thought of that Christlike spirit when I noticed her new book release. I asked Laura to share with us the journey God has led her on for her writing career. Of course she graciously agreed. Here is what she said: You Were Born For Nothing Less Thanks so much for having me here, Mary. It’s always a joy to revisit my writing journey as it stays fresh and is always humbling to think how God led me to this place.  In a nutshell… I’ve written stories – historical fiction only – since I was seven years old. I think I came into the world hardwired to write. I didn’t

Fabulous Friday Feature-Julie Lessman

Today I welcome a well-known authoress, one with a bubbly, energetic personality  and has become a sweet friend:  Julie Lessman .   Enter to win an autographed copy of one of Julie's books! see below I met Julie through ACFW. She taught the first class I attended at ACFW. Her husband graciously showed, enduring Julie's stories. She taught how to write Christian Romance. We laughed and learned so much that night.  I asked her to share her writing journey with us. Here is what she wrote: My Journey As a Christian Romance Writer … My journey as a romance author actually came LONG before my journey with God. It happened the moment I read Gone With the Wind at the age of twelve. The instant that Scarlett seared Rhett with a look on the winding staircase of Twelve Oaks, I was hooked, and my “romance-writing career” began with a 150-page, single-spaced ms. entitled When Tomorrow C

Fabulous Feature-Terri Reed

Today we welcome author: Terri Reed A commenter will win a copy of Terri's book: Person of Interest Book 1 of the Rookie K-9 Series Scroll down to see how. Mary here.     I asked Terri: how has God led  you on your writing journey? Here is what she said:   Dreams God Has for Me Thank you Mary for hosting me today. When America was attacked in September 2011, the world changed. I remember my heart hurt for those who had suffered and died. I thought how could my writing ever mean anything to anyone when there were more important issues going on in the world.  I had been writing and trying to publish for eight years at that point and was getting discouraged. I had begun to think maybe it was time to let the dream of publishing go.  A few weeks after 9/11 my women’s Bible study went for a weekend retreat to the beach. The theme of the retreat was Dream Big. Throughout the weekend I kept wondering what God would want me to dream